Weight Loss Ticker

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Soft-Serve Ice Cream

The first time I heard about banana ice cream, I had absolutely no desire to ever try it.  It's not that I don't like bananas.  They're ok; but I usually buy a bunch, eat 1 or 2, put them in the fridge when they start to get mushy and throw them out a week later.

But then I saw some pictures that looked really good.  And I saw a couple people post somewhere that it didn't really taste too banana.  So I cut up a banana that was getting freckled and put it in the freezer.

Fast forward two weeks to today when I was telling someone at work about banana ice cream and powdered peanut butter (PB2) which I bought awhile back but haven't really used.

So I decided to jump on the banana ice cream bandwagon.


But first, I had to unpack a new toy.
















I took my previously frozen bananas (please note the freezer burn.  Apparently I don't just burn food with heat...)












And put them in my new toy.













Pulse a couple times (which, incidentally, I think should earn me at least 1 Activity Point)












Throw in some PB2 (maybe 2 teaspoons?)












Pulse some more and viola!


It wasn't ice cream, but it was pretty good!  Nice peanut butter and banana flavor.  I can see myself eating a lot of this in the summer.  This was maybe 2/3 of a banana (whatever didn't fit into the first container I used), and it made about 1/2-3/4 cup.  Next time I think I'm going to add just a touch of milk to make it more creamy and some cocoa powder to make chocolate.

One "recipe" (I laugh when I call it that since it's just 1 ingredient) recommended slicing the banana and freezing it for about an hour.  Maybe I'll do that, too, to eliminate the freezer ice crystals.

3 comments:

  1. Yes - bigger than a mini one and you "pump" the handle to spin the blade. I wasn't sure it would work with the frozen bananas, but it did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did you leave the banana in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete