Weight Loss Ticker

Monday, May 2, 2011

Mercy

I was almost asleep when I heard the news that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, but I woke up this morning to the news and the reactions of Americans home and abroad.  I feel conflicted.  On one hand, I believe that freedom is something to be celebrated; and being free of a terrorist responsible for the deaths of so many people is definitely a good thing!  But on the other hand, I've never understood how it makes sense to make something right by committing the same wrong.  The death of Osama Bin Laden does not undo what he did...it doesn't ease the pain and heartache of the countless people affected by the events of 9-11...it doesn't make things right.

In one sense, I feel a sense of justice has been served.  But in another, I wrestle with my belief that God can change the heart of any man.  I'm just not sure what I think.  Am I proud to be an American?  Yes, I am!  But I'm struggling with the way the events of May 1, 2011 are being presented.  I don't celebrate the fact that a man (evil though he was) is gone; but I celebrate the thought that, just maybe, so many people will now be able to bring to end a painful chapter of their lives and move on with a sense of closure.

I saw two quotes on Facebook that put into words some thoughts going through my mind...

One from a friend:
"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK Jr.
And one from my Aunt:
Micah 6:8 The importance of justice is emphasized over and over in the Bible, but it's almost always linked to the equally important exercise of mercy. Here, we're told that God's desire for us boils down to simply practicing and loving both justice and mercy. Neither can exist without the other. May God have mercy on Bin Ladens' soul

1 comment:

  1. Look at what Angie wrote on my wall. I liked what she had to say. I am not rejoicing that he was killed b/c like you said, it didn't change the outcome of 9-11. But, there really wasn't a viable option for letting him live. He was shown more mercy than he showed the victims of 9-11 and the other events he orchistrated (sp). I don't agree with asking God to have mercy on his soul b/c his soul was totally soled out to Satin. He went to meet the god that he served, let him show mercy. I am not rejoicing that a man was killed, but I do think that he recieved the reward for the seeds that he had sown. I like the quote from MLK

    ReplyDelete